The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 8th March 2018 10:03pm
St Bartholomew's Church has a congregation that prefers informal worship to traditional, as demonstrated by the success of the Messy Church and Cafe Church services. With this in mind, Informal Communion is being trialled at 11am on 18th March.
This type of service has been trialled successfully elsewhere and Reverend Anne together with members of the Parochial Church Council have discussed this and come up with a format that, it is believed, will prove more popular than those currently offered. Informal Communion will not replace BCP and Common Worship Communion. These will both continue, but in the case of Common Worship, less frequently.
The Informal Communion service willl involve the following:
* The congregation is asked to sit around a table, reminiscent of the first communion at the Last Supper and more Cafe Church style.
* Prayers will be offered by those attending and fewer from the vicar, though this is optional.
* The bread and wine are passed around and the congregation remain seated.
* While the vicar will still consecrate the bread and wine, there is no use of the communion table, the alter rail, the pulpit or lectern.
* Hymns will be sung from the table, freeing the organist to take part in the service.
* Children and wheelchair users can be fully incorporated, with children able to enjoy their own activity while not being separated from parents and having easy access to the toilet.
It may be necessary to trial several formats before everyone is happy, but this makes the feedback from those attending of supreme importance. All are encouraged to attend and have their say on how the service moves forward.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Imagine my surprise when, at our flower club meeting in December, I won a trophy for my entry into the members' competition. The title was "Christmas Sparkle". My design is shown in the photo on the right. It wasn't until I arrived home to Village Farm, Church Minshull that I made the connection. The trophy I had just been presented with, was the "Cely Lindop Memorial...
Well last time we forgot to wish you all a "Happy New Year" — sort of deliberately because as far as dogs are concerned the new year is only just starting. What do I mean — well hang on and I'll tell you!I'm dictating this to himself at the end of January and we were both saying this morning how finally we are starting to see the mornings getting lighter when we are out for a...
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, it has proved necessary to postpone the Minch — O — Lympics, due to be held on the 2nd March...