The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 8th March 2018 10:03pm
St Bartholomew's Church has a congregation that prefers informal worship to traditional, as demonstrated by the success of the Messy Church and Cafe Church services. With this in mind, Informal Communion is being trialled at 11am on 18th March.
This type of service has been trialled successfully elsewhere and Reverend Anne together with members of the Parochial Church Council have discussed this and come up with a format that, it is believed, will prove more popular than those currently offered. Informal Communion will not replace BCP and Common Worship Communion. These will both continue, but in the case of Common Worship, less frequently.
The Informal Communion service willl involve the following:
* The congregation is asked to sit around a table, reminiscent of the first communion at the Last Supper and more Cafe Church style.
* Prayers will be offered by those attending and fewer from the vicar, though this is optional.
* The bread and wine are passed around and the congregation remain seated.
* While the vicar will still consecrate the bread and wine, there is no use of the communion table, the alter rail, the pulpit or lectern.
* Hymns will be sung from the table, freeing the organist to take part in the service.
* Children and wheelchair users can be fully incorporated, with children able to enjoy their own activity while not being separated from parents and having easy access to the toilet.
It may be necessary to trial several formats before everyone is happy, but this makes the feedback from those attending of supreme importance. All are encouraged to attend and have their say on how the service moves forward.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Autumn Plant Sale 2020, what a result!The weather could not have been better for St. Bart's Church's first ever Autumn Plant Sale. A great crowd turned out to select their winter bedding and perennials and the stocks were soon going down. Out came the watering hosepipes as the day got warmer, while inside the church, the bulb stall was a big favourite and the craft stall and...
For all you readers, the Mobile Library will be restarting its visits to Church Minshull on Tuesday 22nd September at the usual time, 10.20 am, although I am told that they may arrive a little earlier. There will be no access to the inside of the bus and your requests will be brought out. The next visit is planned for 6 weeks time as the bus is due for its...
1963 — Can you remember the special events of that year? Well, it was the year of the big winter; snow was still lying in April in some parts of the country. Cliff Richard and his mates took a London double-decker bus on their 'Summer Holiday' and Dr Beeching decided we didn't need nearly 2000 railways stations. In the United States, its 35th President, J F Kennedy was assassinated...