The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 9th April 2017 9:56pm
Grow and Show Competition
The tallest sunflower measured 9.17 m (30 ft 1 in) on 28 August 2014 and was grown by Hans-Peter Schiffer in Germany (Guinness World Records)
Who can grow the tallest sunflower in Church Minshull?
If you are under 16, you can get 5 free seeds and some growing instructions from Lesley Baddeley. Ring 522952 to enter the competition and order your seeds. You will need to tell Lesley your name, age, address and telephone number so that she can arrange to visit you on judging day to measure your monster sunflower and take a photo.
- All sunflowers must be grown within the Church Minshull Parish Boundary either at your own home or at the home of a grandparent or other relative.
- Judging will take place on Thursday 31st August (just before Minshull Madness)
- The winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be announced before the races on the day of Minshull Madness, Saturday 2nd September.
- You can buy your own seeds if you prefer but you must still tell Lesley that you are entering the competition. Please tell her before May 31st so that she can plan the judging.
- Photos of the sunflowers will be on display during Minshull Madness.
Now all you need to do is get your seeds, plant them and watch them grow!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
"UPDATE — Fruit and Veg at the Village Hall" “Perry's Produce have provided an invaluable service for the people of Church Minshull since the early days of lockdown. People came from round and about to collect fruit and veg boxes and many also took them to friends and family who were shielding. Lately they have introduced us to a range of fresh, locally sourced...
Phase two of discretionary fund open for small eligible businesses.Please click HERE for the latest document...
So last week I said goodbye to my friend Finn, whom I've known for as long as I've been here reporting to you — three and a half years! He has been getting a bit slower with age, and with reluctance and the concern of their friends his people had finally decided that the time had come. Whoa, steady! What did you think I was on about? Put away those hankies! If you'd only waited I...