The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 9th April 2017 9:56pm
Grow and Show Competition
The tallest sunflower measured 9.17 m (30 ft 1 in) on 28 August 2014 and was grown by Hans-Peter Schiffer in Germany (Guinness World Records)
Who can grow the tallest sunflower in Church Minshull?
If you are under 16, you can get 5 free seeds and some growing instructions from Lesley Baddeley. Ring 522952 to enter the competition and order your seeds. You will need to tell Lesley your name, age, address and telephone number so that she can arrange to visit you on judging day to measure your monster sunflower and take a photo.
- All sunflowers must be grown within the Church Minshull Parish Boundary either at your own home or at the home of a grandparent or other relative.
- Judging will take place on Thursday 31st August (just before Minshull Madness)
- The winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be announced before the races on the day of Minshull Madness, Saturday 2nd September.
- You can buy your own seeds if you prefer but you must still tell Lesley that you are entering the competition. Please tell her before May 31st so that she can plan the judging.
- Photos of the sunflowers will be on display during Minshull Madness.
Now all you need to do is get your seeds, plant them and watch them grow!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Butterflies and Bees in the Summer of 2019Has any body else had such a fabulous collection of Butterflies and Bees this Summer? Apperently somebody said that it is beacuse of our Extra Hot Summer last year. Look at these guys flocking to our Sedum in the sunshine. Mostly they are Tortoise Shell Butterflies and Honey Bees but we have seen the Odd Red Admiral and Fritillary and a few Cabbage...
Minshull Madness Weekend is a triumph..! Minshull Events Group (MEG) put on an amazing 3-day event which has been celebrated by the community and beyond.“MEG organisers would like thank everyone who came along during the three event, for their continued support and involvement, especially the deserving volunteers (The Madness Makers) who freely give up their own time to ensure that...