The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
St. Bart's Church is now closed for alterations (as at 5th january 2020)Please click HERE for more...
I hope you all had a pleasant break over Christmas and now its back to work, nose to the grindstone etc. We (that's me and himself) thought that this month's title , which was based on a sunset at the end of December, might help to take our thoughts away from the unceasingly dismal and damp end to the year which we've all "enjoyed". If we were to award an...
Christmas Story“What you are about to read is a tale of Christmas in 4 parts. The places are real, the dates are real, the names are real and the story is...well, you decide...This story will unfold over the next 4 episodes, be sure to view the twist at the very end....!!”Click HERE to read Part1http://local.4432287(Click HERE to read...