The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Ah Autumn. The time of mellow fruitfulness and pumpkins! While we haven't had anywhere near a proper frost and quite honestly our lovely village has been spared the worst of the wild wind and flooding, now is the moment, dear fellow gardeners, to plant perennials into the warm soil before all is too wet and the earth turns hard as iron. I am planting some rather lovely peonies and sedum...
Our local Minshull Amateur Dramatics group (MAD) will be on stage in November with a brand new production.MAD's next performance will be 'Crossed Lines' and has been written by two of the cast, building on the success of a one act play a few years ago. The play is set in a call centre with a totally inept staff where just about everything that could go wrong, does.Many of our...