The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
2020 — how was it for you?As 2020 slowly grinds its way to a close the Arena Webteam peer out from under the edge of Tier 2 and the shadow of Lockdown 2.1 to offer you a review of 2020: from both a Minch-o-centric and a more global perspective. How many of these events do YOU remember?January 2020: the tabloid world worked itself into a frenzy of speculation as the Sussexes announced that...
Well here we are again, Christmas is nearly upon us, we've been locked down, unlocked and locked down again, so with tiers in our eyes can anyone explain to me what is going on? Has everything gone to the dogs? Well that's no bad thing I would say but perhaps you take a different view. So before we get going I'm sure you've made the music link from my title? h...