The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Last Night of the PromsThe BBC's 'Last Night of the Proms' is being shown on the big screen in Church Minshull village hall.Please come along on Saturday 14 September 2019, doors open at 7.00 pm with the programme starting at 7.15 pm and runs for about three and a half hours. There will be an interval part way through when the programme switches from BBC2 to BBC1.Bring your...
Today, St Bartholomew's welcomed Reuben John Minshull, parents Steve and Emily and over a hundred guests to Reuben's baptism.A chapel was demolished by John Minshull and a new church built on the site in 1541 but no Minshull has been baptised, married or buried in the church or churchyard since 1788, a gap of 231 years. John, who resided in Minshull Hall, became the first minister of...
It is just over 3 weeks to the Madness weekend.Are you Ready?To get you in the mood and help you plan here is some information.Uk Bjorn are tuning up for the Friday night and they need to be ready as it looks like it will be a sell out show. There are still tickets available but they are going fast. The first act takes the stage at 7:30pm for what will be a fantastic evening made better by...
Badger Car Park/Home Farm Park