The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Christmas Wreath MakingSome locals enjoyed a masterclass in Christmas wreath making in the village hall. Kathryn Cronin delivered the class, taking participants, through the various stages to make and personalise their own wreaths. Christmas tunes were played as tea and cake was provided, along with all the materials for making some fantastic natural wreaths. Everything was sourced from local...
Metal Detectorists have been seen looking for precious metal objects in the fields down Eachus Lane! Is this linked to the 2nd...
On Sunday 9th December our Cafe Church will be pleased to welcome representatives from the Crewe YMCA. They will be giving a presentation on the valuable work that they do in our area and will be helping to lead the service. Why not pop in and join us for some great coffee, cake and a chat and learn about what a valuable part the YMCA plays in our community.YMCA CreweYMCA Crewe is a...