The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
'Race Night 'A date for your diary'Church Minshull Sports & Social Club are organising a Race Night to be held in the village hall on Saturday 22 June.Doors open at 7.00pm, with the first race at 7.30 pm.More details will follow at the beginning of...
Well, morning team — or afternoon if you're reading this later! Himself has just had a nasty surprise: after I'd given him the idea and he'd written this blog a few days ago themselves went to Ireland to see their little people. Logging on to check my blog the evening before publishing it he found that it had all gone! As in disappeared, vamoosed! Perhaps there is a Labrador virus in...
Church Minshull was nominated for this years Best Village Award in BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2019 and made it through to the final.A panel of six judges whittled down the nominations from across the UK to six finalists and the country voted in true X factor style for their favourite.And the winners were — dramatic pause -1st Bembridge, Isle of Wight2nd Ingleton, North Yorkshire3rd...