The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
At 10am on Sunday morning 15 intrepid travellers set out from Church Minshull to visit Blackpool Tower Ballroom.Despite many cries of "are we nearly there yet?" and "is that Blackpool Tower?" shouted at every electricity pylon, we did get there.The first impressions of the Ballroom quite took our breath away. We had all seen it on Strictly but in real life it is smaller...
Imagine my surprise when, at our flower club meeting in December, I won a trophy for my entry into the members' competition. The title was "Christmas Sparkle". My design is shown in the photo on the right. It wasn't until I arrived home to Village Farm, Church Minshull that I made the connection. The trophy I had just been presented with, was the "Cely Lindop Memorial...
Well last time we forgot to wish you all a "Happy New Year" — sort of deliberately because as far as dogs are concerned the new year is only just starting. What do I mean — well hang on and I'll tell you!I'm dictating this to himself at the end of January and we were both saying this morning how finally we are starting to see the mornings getting lighter when we are out for a...