The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Well Churchy thinks you have had long enough to think about the numbers quiz so the answers are HERE. As always if you want to disagree with any of the answers you are welcome to do so — but there are no prizes, no winners, no losers its only for fun.So the latest quiz is for those who prefer words to numbers. Cryptic Education is just what it says — all the answers are...
“Hi all — Jean Jones here (9 Village farm),I've been making these laundry bags for nurses and wondered if it might be an interest to anybody. The post on the facebook image is what got me started. The photos with red bags in are from Facebook and not mine. The orange one is mine. I was actually able to give two to a nurse from Leighton Hospital last night and she was very...
“Many thanks for your support of Perry's Produce yesterday. They sold 30 of the 45 boxes in the first 20 mins!! The price of a mixed box will be £20 for as long as Perry's can get the produce but there are signs (as everywhere) that the wholesalers are having to increase prices which will inevitably be passed on! At least we don't have to risk the supermarkets!!This...