The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 24th October 2017 8:00am
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...six geese a laying.
Not sure six geese would work in everyone's back garden but at least you'd have fresh eggs each morning! Here are six interesting 'geese' facts for the uninitiated:
1. Their desire to return to their birth place every year is so strong that they will often fly up to 3,000 miles to get there!
2. Geese live to about 20 years' old
3. Adult geese molt in June and are unable to fly during this time — let's hope they plan their diary so they don't have any urgent engagements in the month of June!
4. Domestic geese can lay as many as 50 eggs every year!
5. Geese mate for life
6. Geese fly in a "V" formation. If one goose is injured, other geese will stay with it until it dies or can rejoin the flock (if it dies, you wouldn't want to be standing directly below it, would you??)
We're excited to see how the Minshull's Nursery Floristry Team is going to represent 'six geese a laying' in floral form. Visit 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' Floral Extravaganza at St. Bart's Church (1 — 3 Dec) to find out for yourselves. More details here
Thanks to the florists at Minshull's Nursery for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We are sorry for the inconvenience but our VillageArena Website will be down for a couple of days in the week starting 1st FEBRUARY 2021 for a Software Upgrade. We will be back up as soon as possible with a lightly different...
Listeners to Radio Stoke may have been surprised to hear our churchwarden, John Headon, being interviewed by presenter Liz Ellis at 3.30 this afternoon. Liz asked John about the village being cut off last night when Over Road, to Winsford was flooded and the bridge over Eel Brook, where it joins the River Weaver went under water. Sadly, the adjacent house, flooded last February was inundated...
* * * WARNING * * * POSSIBLE CLOSURE OF OVER ROAD by EEL BROOK LATER TODAY (20/1/21) OR TOMORROW MORNING (21/1/21).Warning for walkers not to take the circuit through the woods as the Lower Field is flooded.UPDATE 20/1/2021 19:30hrsIt has been told to us at villagearena.org that Over road parallel to Weaver View is completely flooded...