The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 24th October 2017 8:00am
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...six geese a laying.
Not sure six geese would work in everyone's back garden but at least you'd have fresh eggs each morning! Here are six interesting 'geese' facts for the uninitiated:
1. Their desire to return to their birth place every year is so strong that they will often fly up to 3,000 miles to get there!
2. Geese live to about 20 years' old
3. Adult geese molt in June and are unable to fly during this time — let's hope they plan their diary so they don't have any urgent engagements in the month of June!
4. Domestic geese can lay as many as 50 eggs every year!
5. Geese mate for life
6. Geese fly in a "V" formation. If one goose is injured, other geese will stay with it until it dies or can rejoin the flock (if it dies, you wouldn't want to be standing directly below it, would you??)
We're excited to see how the Minshull's Nursery Floristry Team is going to represent 'six geese a laying' in floral form. Visit 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' Floral Extravaganza at St. Bart's Church (1 — 3 Dec) to find out for yourselves. More details here
Thanks to the florists at Minshull's Nursery for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Stars join forces to launch BBC Children in Need's 2019 campaign, asking the UK to Get Together to make a difference.Tess Daly, Rochelle Humes, Marvin Humes and Laura Whitmore amongst those supporting, encouraging the nation to Get Together to change children's lives right across the UK.BBC Children in Need has launched its 2019 fundraising campaign and is asking the...
Festive Flower Arranging Dayat St Bartholomew's Church on Wednesday 18th December 11am-1.00 and 1.30-3.30pm.Make a Christmas wreath and a table/mantlepiece arrangement for your home.Any of the arrangements can be made in either the morning or the afternoon, just tell us what you would like to make and when and we'll do the rest.Includes a lunch of homemade soup and a...
“Pub Quiz Night @ The Badger Inn14th October 2019. 8:30pm (2 hours)Come and join in, £1 per head.Free fries during half-time.Come one — come all!
Badger Car Park/Home Farm Park