The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 24th October 2017 8:00am
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...six geese a laying.
Not sure six geese would work in everyone's back garden but at least you'd have fresh eggs each morning! Here are six interesting 'geese' facts for the uninitiated:
1. Their desire to return to their birth place every year is so strong that they will often fly up to 3,000 miles to get there!
2. Geese live to about 20 years' old
3. Adult geese molt in June and are unable to fly during this time — let's hope they plan their diary so they don't have any urgent engagements in the month of June!
4. Domestic geese can lay as many as 50 eggs every year!
5. Geese mate for life
6. Geese fly in a "V" formation. If one goose is injured, other geese will stay with it until it dies or can rejoin the flock (if it dies, you wouldn't want to be standing directly below it, would you??)
We're excited to see how the Minshull's Nursery Floristry Team is going to represent 'six geese a laying' in floral form. Visit 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' Floral Extravaganza at St. Bart's Church (1 — 3 Dec) to find out for yourselves. More details here
Thanks to the florists at Minshull's Nursery for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
'Race Night 'A date for your diary'Church Minshull Sports & Social Club are organising a Race Night to be held in the village hall on Saturday 22 June.Doors open at 7.00pm, with the first race at 7.30 pm.More details will follow at the beginning of...
Well, morning team — or afternoon if you're reading this later! Himself has just had a nasty surprise: after I'd given him the idea and he'd written this blog a few days ago themselves went to Ireland to see their little people. Logging on to check my blog the evening before publishing it he found that it had all gone! As in disappeared, vamoosed! Perhaps there is a Labrador virus in...
Church Minshull was nominated for this years Best Village Award in BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards 2019 and made it through to the final.A panel of six judges whittled down the nominations from across the UK to six finalists and the country voted in true X factor style for their favourite.And the winners were — dramatic pause -1st Bembridge, Isle of Wight2nd Ingleton, North Yorkshire3rd...