The first meeting of the Village Hall Committee was held in the School on May 21st 1946 at 7.30pm. At this time there was no village hall!
The Committee was — Mr E.N.Cookson (Chairman), Mr Stan Farrall (Treasurer), Miss Potts (Secretary), Miss Upton, Mr T. Parton, Mr J Owen, (Parish Council representative), Mr F Birchall (Parochial Church Council Rep.) and Miss H Greenwood (Young Peoples Club Rep.). A One of these prominent members, Stan Farrell the village blacksmith remained involved until resigning in November 1987.
The proceeds of the first Whist Drive (admission 2/6d) were £20-18-0d, including a donation of £5 from the Children of Church Minshull School, £1 from Miss Brereton and 10/- from an anonymous donor.
The Parish Council called a public meeting on May 14th 1947 and the Vicar, Mrs E.N.Cookson and Mr A Birchall were nominated as Trustees. An account in the name of "The Village Hall Fund" was opened at the Post Office. By May 16th 1950 the balance was £538-4-2d. Indeed, it took no less than 17 years of whist drives, coffee mornings etc., before they were able to buy the land and erect the ex-army hut in 1963.
A public meeting was held on November 30th 1959 in the School, the minutes reveal that it was a well attended meeting in fact it was the best meeting that has taken place! The Chairman Mr E.N.Cookson reported that the Village Hall Fund balance was £865-1-11d and the Young Peoples Club had £152-19-10d. The meeting decided to ask the Rural Community Council if any grants were available and to approach the rural District Council to help identify a site.
The site conveyance completed on 8th August 1962 and an ex-army hut was purchased and erected largely by volunteers. The opening event was a Whist Drive on 4th September 1963, admission 3/-. The total proceeds were £16 pounds, 2 shillings and 3 pence. Hiring Charges were set at £3 for Parish Residents and £5 for others. Hire of Kitchen only for meetings was 10/-.
An £300 overdraft was requested in February 1964. By April 1967, the debit balance had risen to £236-15-1d and Villagers were invited to help line the hall by buying panels of hardboard at £1 each (or 10/- per half).
These names of a volunteer working party were found hidden behind a panel dated 20th May 1964 — R.Farrall, D.H.MacDonald, Richard Farrall, R.G.Burrow, M.MacDonald, James Morris, James Dennel, (Ringo) Bate, W.Smith, C.S.Brereton, A.Everall, M.Skitt, H.Owen, R.H.Dover, I.Hulme, R.Morris, R.G.L.Hulme, D.M.Hough, S.Farrall, Gillian Moody, Mr. E.N.Cookson
In April 1972 (with a credit balance of £67-19s) the committee agreed to the redevelopment proposals proposed by The County Council prompted by the G.P.O's need to close their brick telephone exchange (now used as a store). A new public highway (now Muslin Row) was built to provide access to a new telephone exchange and a new access to the Village Hall car park.
More recently, since 1994, a number of significant works have been undertaken to both develop and maintain the hall's infrastructure despite an event at a Trustees meeting in 2001 when a motion was made, seconded and narrowly defeated by one vote "to close the hall immediately". It was after this committee meeting that the Chairman Peter Brereton drafted an application for a major capital grant. Since then significant work by a committed group of supporters and generous grants have meant that the hall functions well today