The oldest house in the village is Wades Green Hall, mainly constructed in 1554, but with parts of the East End built in the 1300s. The original Minshull Hall was built in the 11th Century, but only a portion of the moat remains. The existing Hall is now a farmhouse of Victorian brick with some interior beamed walls, dated 1654.
Tudor and Jacobean 'black and white' or 'magpie' houses attract visitors to the village, as they do across Cheshire. These include Oakhurst, originally two weavers cottages, 1580, Church Farm with its' protruding porch supported by two Etruscan columns, 1600, The Mill House, 1604, The Smithy, 1620 and Old House, once the post office, 1640. Lee Green Hall was first built in 1563, but the present Farmhouse is of Victorian brick.
The Mill, now a forge, was first mentioned in 1244, but the present building, dated 1760, and is again of brick. When Thomas Brooke bought the Manor Lordship he first rebuilt Bridge House as his home in its' present form, from two small Tudor cottages, parts of which survive inside, but this was only temporary as he was building an estate called Ashbrook Towers, at Ashbrook Farm. The farm still exists, now renamed Ashbrook House, but the 'Towers' was demolished after a fire, in 1934.
The Brooke family owned most of the village for four generations, but in 1922-3 it was sold off in lots. The Badger Inn was built in 1770 and took its' name from the crest of the Brooke family, which was a badger or brock.
In 1875 it was named the Brooke Arms Inn as indicated on an 1875 map.