The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 9th April 2017 9:56pm
Grow and Show Competition
The tallest sunflower measured 9.17 m (30 ft 1 in) on 28 August 2014 and was grown by Hans-Peter Schiffer in Germany (Guinness World Records)
Who can grow the tallest sunflower in Church Minshull?
If you are under 16, you can get 5 free seeds and some growing instructions from Lesley Baddeley. Ring 522952 to enter the competition and order your seeds. You will need to tell Lesley your name, age, address and telephone number so that she can arrange to visit you on judging day to measure your monster sunflower and take a photo.
- All sunflowers must be grown within the Church Minshull Parish Boundary either at your own home or at the home of a grandparent or other relative.
- Judging will take place on Thursday 31st August (just before Minshull Madness)
- The winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be announced before the races on the day of Minshull Madness, Saturday 2nd September.
- You can buy your own seeds if you prefer but you must still tell Lesley that you are entering the competition. Please tell her before May 31st so that she can plan the judging.
- Photos of the sunflowers will be on display during Minshull Madness.
Now all you need to do is get your seeds, plant them and watch them grow!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Did you witness the foam that was making its way through the village yesterday? Some thought it was time to call ghoastbusters, others thought it was snowing in May! Do you know what it was? We've heard accusations of people dumping their bath water on the road (someone obviously likes it extra bubbly!) or perhaps someone decided to turn the village into a skating rink as a little money...
Following the exploits of 3 Men in a Boat, we can now enjoy the ocean tales of the Minshull Mariners who have also taken to the high seas for adventure and good old male bondage (sorry 'bonding'). Day 1: Salty and Shipmate have now been despatched onto "proper" cruises and so McSkipper takes his life in his hands by welcoming two new shipmates aboard...
Have you seen the new pop-up mission board sign outside St. Bart's church? It was installed over the bank holiday weekend to publicise both Messy and Café Church services. Keep an eye on it to see which service is on...