The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 9th April 2017 9:56pm
Grow and Show Competition
The tallest sunflower measured 9.17 m (30 ft 1 in) on 28 August 2014 and was grown by Hans-Peter Schiffer in Germany (Guinness World Records)
Who can grow the tallest sunflower in Church Minshull?
If you are under 16, you can get 5 free seeds and some growing instructions from Lesley Baddeley. Ring 522952 to enter the competition and order your seeds. You will need to tell Lesley your name, age, address and telephone number so that she can arrange to visit you on judging day to measure your monster sunflower and take a photo.
- All sunflowers must be grown within the Church Minshull Parish Boundary either at your own home or at the home of a grandparent or other relative.
- Judging will take place on Thursday 31st August (just before Minshull Madness)
- The winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be announced before the races on the day of Minshull Madness, Saturday 2nd September.
- You can buy your own seeds if you prefer but you must still tell Lesley that you are entering the competition. Please tell her before May 31st so that she can plan the judging.
- Photos of the sunflowers will be on display during Minshull Madness.
Now all you need to do is get your seeds, plant them and watch them grow!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
UPDATED 10th AUGUSTTickets for the Madness event on Friday 31st August have been selling like the proverbial hot cakes and are now all sold out!If you have missed what is happening (where have you been?) Elvis is appearing for one night only at Church Minshull Village Hall. Well when I say Elvis I mean Paul Larcombe who is one of the world's best Elvis tribute artists having performed all...
I don't know what you do in the morning, but my routine involves a check round the fields, clearing off any unwanted crows and rooks, and a bathe in Eel Brook. Well I tell himself its a bathe but really I'm looking for eels, they are said to be good for one's coat — its the slime apparently. Since I've lived here I've hunted for them diligently but with no...
It has felt like the longest summer ever already as I listen to the noise of the rain on our roof. The grass is still a dry shade of crunchy brown from the unbelievable Mediterranean weather conditions we have been having in this little corner of England. It is the hottest summer I can remember since I was a child, collecting water from stand pipes in the streets of Cardiff. Who could have...
Badger Car Park/Home Farm Park