The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 28th October 2017 8:00am
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten lords-a-leaping.
Finding ten leaping lords must have been quite a feat! Perhaps they were found in the House of Lords where there are currently about 800 lords, many of whom are life peers. You may also be interested to learn these five 'lords' facts:
1. The word 'lord' originated from an Old English word 'hlaford' meaning bread-keeper.
2. The last time a peerage was removed was in 1917 under the Titles Deprivation Act, directed against lords who fought against Britain in the First World War.
3. Lord Carrington is the longest serving current member of the House of Lords. He joined the House on 9 October 1945.
4. In the Middle Ages, a lord was a man who held land directly from the king.
5. Lords-and-ladies is a herbaceous plant that can reach 12 to 20 inches in height. It's found in southern parts of Europe and northern parts of Africa.
So, what does Cath Scales, Chair of Wistaston and District Flower Club, the designer of this particular arrangement, have in store for us? Will the 'Lords-and-ladies' plant make an appearance? Find out for yourself at the Christmas Floral Extravaganza (1-3 Dec) at St. Bartholomew's Church. Click here for more details
Many thanks to Hibberts Solicitors, Nantwich, for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Cheshire East Council has published a Notice of Election to fill the vacancy for Borough Councillor for the Bunbury Ward. The deadline for the submission of Nomination forms for anyone interested in standing for election is Friday 23 February. The election date is scheduled for Thursday 22 March 2018. To view the notice, please http://local.4297922(click...
Cafe Church on 11 February was once again packed despite the hail and wind outside. The subject was 'Change' and how we deal with it and John Headon took the opportunity to provide an update on the proposed changes in the church interior. There were poems by Lynn Penny and Tim Hough on embracing change and everyone used the interval to talk of changes in their own lives, some of which...
Village Hall TransformationThe Village Hall is set to be transformed thanks to a grant of over £10,000 from funding body WREN.The money, awarded by WREN's FCC Community Action Fund, will be used to upgrade the Hot Water Systems and refurbish the walls and ceiling and improve electrical services in the Village Hall. WREN is a not-for-profit business that awards grants for...
The Badger Inn