The Church Minshull Community Website
By Arena Webteam - 24th October 2017 8:00am
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...six geese a laying.
Not sure six geese would work in everyone's back garden but at least you'd have fresh eggs each morning! Here are six interesting 'geese' facts for the uninitiated:
1. Their desire to return to their birth place every year is so strong that they will often fly up to 3,000 miles to get there!
2. Geese live to about 20 years' old
3. Adult geese molt in June and are unable to fly during this time — let's hope they plan their diary so they don't have any urgent engagements in the month of June!
4. Domestic geese can lay as many as 50 eggs every year!
5. Geese mate for life
6. Geese fly in a "V" formation. If one goose is injured, other geese will stay with it until it dies or can rejoin the flock (if it dies, you wouldn't want to be standing directly below it, would you??)
We're excited to see how the Minshull's Nursery Floristry Team is going to represent 'six geese a laying' in floral form. Visit 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' Floral Extravaganza at St. Bart's Church (1 — 3 Dec) to find out for yourselves. More details here
Thanks to the florists at Minshull's Nursery for sponsoring this arrangement.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Messy Church on Sunday 22nd April was another fun-packed service. The theme was all about the Lord being our shepherd and after a colourful sheep-related address by John Headon, there was a hunt for letters around the church for the children. After some help from the adults, the children were able to spell out the words 'Sheep, Shepherd and Lamb'. The children also enjoyed making their...
The famous Plant and Art Sale returns to St Bartholomew's Church 5 — 7th May 2018 (10am — 5pm). Attracting over 2000 visitors and raising over £7,000 last year, it's the biggest church fundraiser of the year and this year's event will be no different. With 200,000 plants on sale over the three days, including shrubs, bedding plants, trees and perennials, there's something...
Please be aware that on Thurs 12th July there will be 2 way traffic control opposite Meadow View on the B5074 just south of the Minshull Lane junction to allow BT to access underground...
The Badger Inn